Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Art for Art's Sake. Literally.

A few weeks ago, I posted a picture of one of my paintings that was preparing itself to be donated to a local Art Auction.

The Auction was for a local school district to make sure that their students will continue to have access to the Arts and to Arts Programs in their schools.  For obvious reasons, I am passionate about keeping Arts in the Schools, so I was thrilled to participate this year and hope I will be asked back again.

Here are some photos depicting this Buntacular Event!


Here is my painting on the table with Other Cool Art.  The birds in the red nest on the left were salt and pepper shakers made by Eva Zeisel.  I loved those!!

This is Erie's Junior Philharmonic entertaining the crowd in funky hats!

The next few photos are of a Pretty Darn Special Something that we were able to witness.    It was sort of a performance art extravaganza!  When it was first described to me, I wasn't sure how I felt about it.  I guess my point in saying that is that I was NOWHERE NEAR Prepared to be this impressed.

The piece was performed by Molly Glover, who is now 18 years old.  What she does is a thing called Speed Painting, and it was not something I was familiar with, but it was FASCINATING!  Molly puts on music and paints with her hands on a large sheet of black paper.  The process lasts only a couple of minutes, but she produces a masterpiece in the process.

This is a video that I found on YouTube of Molly actually performing/ making a different painting.  It is amazing to watch!!  Check it out!

Below, however, are some pictures of Molly completing this process in front of us.  I think she is giving this particular painting style up to go to art school, so this was very possibly her last performance.  What an awesome thing to witness!








Voila!!  John Lennon!!  

Amazing!!
All in all, it was a wonderful night.  I can't wait to go again next year!!  Thanks to all the Artists who participated to make this event a success.  LET'S KEEP THOSE ARTS IN SCHOOLS, SHALL WE?

Well, for now, let's relax in front of this nice fire.

4 comments:

StorytellERdoc said...

Marcy

We are all reading your post this am before the school bus arrives. Awesome pictures, awesome words. So many were thrilled by your presence and enthusiasm at that event and we look forward to next year to see what amazing pic YOU will share with all of us.

Have a great day, friend!
Jim

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, that speed painting technique is fabulous!

Emma said...

Looks like it was a great event! You're so cool for donating a painting! :)

And the speed painting is pretty darn amazing...

Rebecca said...

Kudos to you for donating your fabulous work to such a worthy cause! And what a thrill to have your work shown along side of Eva Zeisel!!

The speed painting video was BUNTACULAR!