Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ode to Mod Podge

Lately, I've developed an obsession with Mod Podge.


It all started because of a few paintings I made that ended up in a show in a local gallery.  I wrote about this a few weeks ago, and then FORGOT TO TAKE MY CAMERA TO THE SHOW!  I still haven't gotten pictures.  Anyway, I wanted to start painting some of my scenes from Italy, and I also wanted to incorporate a narrative feel to these paintings.

The idea I came up with was to layer the paintings by starting with an image from the trip-- a map, a ticket stub, an actual picture that I took-- and then to paint over it, making sure the image somehow showed through the paint.  After doing some research, I discovered that Mod Podge might be the key to this process.

It turned out to be true.  In the meantime, I also fell in love with the stuff.  (Apparently, I'm not the only one with this opinion.  Check out this blog called Mod Podge Rocks.)

I like the smell.  I love the shine and texture it gives to the paintings.

In one Italy-themed painting, I began with a map of the city of Volterra, which I copied onto a sheet of vellum paper.  Then i used Mod Podge to stick it down, let it dry, and then painted over it.  Then, I layered it and layered it with Mod Podge.

I have to admit, it was a little obsessive.

But, now, I have put it on another painting that has nothing layered on it.  It was just a regular painting that I made years ago based on a picture the Chick took when she went to Paris.  I retouched a bit for an art auction I am participating in in April.  Well, I pretty much redid the whole painting, actually, but the finishing touch?

MOD PODGE!

Here is is.  You can't see the Mod Podge effect from this picture, but believe you me, in person, it makes a difference.  


Really, it makes a difference.  Right Blueberry?

Ummm.....Blueberry?

OK, I guess She is busy.


The Rabbits are probably getting nervous that they will be brushed with this Magical Super Substance that is an all in one glue, sealer, and finish.


Not to worry.  No Mod Podging Bunnies.  Nope.

3 comments:

Art D said...

Great stuff - careful where you leave it, though! Mr. Paisley (our first Rex) would chew through the (thankfully dry) Mod Podged pieces which Carly would leave on the floor

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like you've been seized by Mod Podge MADNESS!

Emma said...

I love that painting!