Wednesday, November 17, 2010

On to...Siena!

Well, I thought that I could finish off the second half of the day I began to tell you about on Monday with today's post, but you know what?  I don't think it's going to work.  The problem is, I took SO MANY FREAKING PICTURES and I don't want to shortchange them, and it's so hard to pick and choose what to tell about and what not to tell about, and...

...well, whatever, right?  I'll start today and finish when I finish.

We started this particular day in Tavernelle Val di Pesa at the open Air Market, a tale I told you on Monday.  And after that, we drove a very short way to Siena.

Siena is a beautiful city built in a way that no matter which way you go, you seem to be walking up a hill! 

Siena is another walled city.  Here was the view looking out as we walked along the wall:


In this picture, you can see the wall through the archway.  See, there?  On the left?  That's the wall. (You may also notice the slight incline.  See?  Everything's a hill!!)

This praying station was just inside the main gates of the city.  Up high in the corner of some buildings.  Neat-o-neat!!

In this picture, you can see some of the Siena's flags.  Each little section, or Contrade, of the city has it's own flag.  For more on this, click here.


Siena is pretty darn famous for it's pottery.  I would have brought some home if I hadn't been worried that it would get broken.  After our flight to Italy and seeing how our suitcases got thrown around and, well...lost, i thought purchasing pottery would not be the best idea.  Though there was lots of it and it was all awesome.  I did buy some espresso cups and small pottery-related things, but big pieces seemed like a bad idea.  I took pictures instead!


And, picture this:  You are walking and walking along these tiny, narrow brick streets (made of ANCIENT bricks, mind you, and then suddenly...
...you come across AN AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL CATHEDRAL!!  This is Siena's Duomo.

When I showed the Chick these pictures, she said "It looks like a wedding cake!!"  And it DOES!  In real life it looks like you could EAT IT!  Though, I don't suppose anyone would want to.

Well, maybe a little bite.  I want a frosting flower!

So, more about Siena to come.  TOO MANY PICTURES!!

This is seriously taking away from Rabbit Air Time.

3 comments:

Emma said...

I love that pottery, especially the first one. Oooh!

Chiocciola is the best contrade. Go Snails!!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, that beautiful Tuscan countryside! And I bet all that hill-walking gave your leg muscles a workout!

Rebecca said...

Oh that pottery would have been really hard to resist! Would love to see photos of the small pieces you did bring home.
Can't wait to see more!!