Monday, June 21, 2010

Farewell, Sweet F. Scott


Last Friday, the Rabbit Girls and I posted a movie for our dear, sweet, Scottie Cat (a.k. a. F. Scott Fitzgerald).  Scottie had rather suddenly taken ill a couple of weeks ago, and we thought it would be nice to honor him.

We didn't really know what was wrong with him, though his symptoms could mostly be chalked up to old age (he was somewhere between 17 and 20 years old-- we never knew how old he was when we adopted him).

We first met Scottie at our local Humane Society.  The Chick had gone there to pick out a cat.  She had just gotten Ernie, who was a teeny kitten who made funny pterodactyl sounding sounds, and who needed a friend.  When she walked past the cats in their little cat pens, Scottie reached out and grabbed her.  From that very second, she knew that he was our cat-- he picked us.   Well, he picked her at any rate.


The Humane Society would not let her take him home.  She had just moved into an apartment, and they needed tons of proof that, since she was living in an apartment,  that having a cat was OK with her landlord, etc.  She didn't have that.


At the time, I was still living with my parents while just beginning graduate school.  So the next day, I went in by myself and snatched Scottie.  They had no problem giving him to me, since I lived in a residence with my family.  Scottie seemed confused.  "Don't worry," I told him on the way to the Chick's apartment.  "You'll like where I'm taking you.  I promise."


And that was that.  We had two sweet orange and white cats.

At first, Scottie was depressed.  He would sit at the window and cry and cry.  He would sit and stare at the walls.  Slowly, Ernie taught him how to play.  They remained best friends for 13 years.

Ever since Ernie packed up and moved to Sparkle Pond a few years ago now, Scottie has been lonely for him. 

At 2:30 Am on Saturday, June 19, 2010, they were reunited.


We still don't really know what was wrong with Scottie, and frankly, it doesn't matter.  He lived a good, long life full of playing and snuggling and loving and lots of brothers and sisters.  He loved his rabbits and he loved to eat.  He could sit in the window for hours with his big, fluffy orange squirrel tail floating around in the breeze.  Scottie loved people.  He would greet people like a butler at the door, and as soon as they sat down, he'd want to be on their lap.  

He loved everyone equally and well.  We can all learn from that attribute.


You will be missed, sweet Scottie.  Sparkle Pond will be a better place because of you.  And Ernie will be happy to see you.   I can't say the same for Jobie and Rosie, since they weren't always so sure of you as Ernie was, but they will at least give you a nod and a growl if nothing else.


Thank you for being such a wonderful cat, Scottie. 

 Scottie in the Rabbit Room with Zoe-- just last week.


Scottie's last portrait Pre-Sparkle Pond, 
again taken last week in his Rabbits' Room.  
Still so handsome.

Rest in Peace, Scottie.  We'll love you forever.

8 comments:

StorytellERdoc said...

Darn it all, M. Scottie's passing was fast, but I am amazed at your and C's healthy view on another loss to your family. You make his passing seem so right and natural.

Hugs to you both.
J

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post! I got something in my eye right around the point where you wrote about Ernie helping Scottie learn to play.

I'm so very glad that Ernie is there waiting for Scottie. And I'm so very glad that Scottie and you and the Chick, and the rabbits and other kitties.

From the time you adopted him, he had an awesome life, full of love. Lucky Scottie! Lucky you folks!

And farewell, Scottie. I hope you're enjoying Sparkle Pond xo

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Scottie and Ernie, together again, writing their literary kitty memoirs at Sparkle Pond . . . hugs to all who grieve.

Emma said...

Ohhhhh...I didn't know all this about Scottie's story. Beautiful post.

Susann said...

Thank you so much for sharing Scottie's beautiful story, Marcy. What a gorgeous cat he was in his fur suit! You made me cry, of course -- I have a too-recent cat-shaped hole in my own heart to be able to read this without tears -- but had to pause to pass on a hug.

Anonymous said...

Oh!
So poignantly beautiful.

Thank you for sharing this story.

You are loved and lifted up.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beloved family member. I have no doubt that Scottie & Ernie are reunited at Sparkle Pond and are tearing the place up with their playful antics. Blessings to you, The Chick and the rest of your family during this time.

Melita said...

what a sweet post. it brings tears to my eyes when i read of other's kitties passing on, but i will keep the sparkle suit in mind when it is time for my beloved kitties and pup to go. hugs to you, the chick, and the rest of the furry ones!!