Monday, May 31, 2010

Let Us Eat Lettuce

Miss Zoe and Miss Blueberry have a question.

(Can you see that they both have their little paws in the air?  Can you see them?)

On Whom shall we call?  Hmmmmmmm.

Oh dear.  Now they have hopped off to play because they couldn't decide who should ask the question.

Well, I think I knew what they were going to ask based on the title of the post:  Let Us Eat Lettuce.  They want to know why we have not written about lettuce yet this Spring.

And the point of writing about Lettuce (and other Greens for that matter) here is that They would like to show off the start of Their Very Own Rabbit Garden.  The Chick and I started the seeds a few weeks ago, and now the plants are shaping up quite nicely. 

Behold, the Power of Greens!!






The idea this year is to keep the greens growing as long as possible.  We will reseed all Summer long.  Then, in the Fall, when the weather gets a little cooler, we will assemble some cold frames on our little Raised Rabbit Beds and keep the Veg A-Comin'!  At least, that's the plan.  Now that we have Two Hungry Rabbit Mouths to feed, we are motivated to work harder on the Rabbit Garden.

Or Else....


(And that's no laughing matter.)

5 comments:

LMA said...

You could market that pic of Zoe as a poster. I may keep your blog open tomorrow when I start this new layout project. I shan't be tempted to procrastinate with Miss Zoe looking at me like that!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh no! The Glare! The Glare!!

Bethany said...

Your lettuce looks beautiful! Half of my huge garden is for my grumpy rabbits (4 now). Your buns will be very happy, no disgruntled faces, just happy munching.
You probably know the leaf lettuce you can cut quite a few times and it will grow back super fast (eventually it gets bitter, but the bunnies don't seem to mind).
Some other easy things I grow for the bunnies: basil, parsley, endive, kale, chicory, dandilion greens (johnny's seeds), corn salad, and some kind of lettuce type thing with Zen it it's name but I forget now. They love that and it grows all season.
Got to get my garden in today!!!
Loved this post.

Emma said...

The greens look great! Yum.

Do the Yard Rabbits munch on them, too?

Eco Yogini said...

yum yum lettuce!! I hope our lettuce will look like that soon (and doesn't get rained away!). :)