Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Big Rabbit is Watching...

When I was younger, I always used to participate in sports. Basketball, softball, soccer, track. Which sport I was playing at any given time was how I kept track of the wheel of the year.

(Don't worry-- I was also a complete and total band geek and a choir geek, as well as many other types of geek, known and unknown.)

Let me say that the point of sports for me was not so much the sport itself-- I am not competitive in the least, and I could care less about winning in most circumstances. (The notable exception, of course, being that I like to win stare down competitions with Miss Emmie the Cat. I usually don't win, but when I do, I don't let her forget it easily.)

Yeah, you try to win a stare down with this cat. Bring it!

Sports, for me, were about the fitness aspect. They made me move my butt, whether I wanted to or not. I've always known that was important for me. Outer accountability.

I have come round to the fact that I am essentially lazy. And, I'm OK with that.

But, I also like food. Very much.

In some way, then, I have to counteract the eating with some exercise. It not only helps me stay in shape, it helps me feel better-- more alert, more awake, just better.

It's part of the reason why Blisschick and I have been car free for almost eight years. Besides all the great things about being more aware of your surroundings, contributing a bit less to pollution, and living a bit of a slower existence without a car, being car free means you have to get places some other way -- besides driving.

Most days, for me, that means riding my bike, Captain (now Admiral, thank you very much) Janeway, to and fro work.

In this way, exercise for me becomes a lifestyle, not a choice. (If it were a choice, I would be in serious trouble!!)

Well, so I thought things were going pretty well with this whole bike riding and occasional walking thing.

But then, a couple of weeks ago, Miss Zoe spoke up:

"Sorry-- the bike riding isn't cutting it.
You need to be healthier!
"

Apparently, Big Rabbit was Watching.

She knows what I'm up to. Or, more accurately, what I'm not up to.

Now, I know that I am pretty healthy. Cardiovascularly speaking, I feel like I am pretty darn good. But I know that less "moosh" as we call it at our house, would be way healthier for my heart.

"Less moosh. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout."

Miss Zoe placed a call to a friend who is transitioning into a new career as a Health Coach. She offered me up to him as a guinea pig. Miss Zoe and Health Coach conspired to order me a heart monitor.

For the time being, Health Coach has given me two main directives:

1. Eat what I normally eat, but write everything down so I am aware of what goes in every day.

2. Make a commitment to exercising for 30-45 minutes, five days a week in my target heart rate zone.

I can do that, right?

Well, I'm certainly going to try.

Health Coach is my new substitute for sports. He is my outer accountability meter. It might just be the motivational ticket I need to become a healthier me.

I'm certainly not being motivated by these lazy animals!

I'll keep you posted on how it's going.

If Miss Zoe is the task master I know her to be, however, I don't think I'll be allowed to fail, do you?

2 comments:

Emma said...

(I'm whispering, because I think maybe Zoe can see me, too! Her eyes are drilling right into my through the computer monitor!!)

I think you can do this!! Do keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Good for you! (And kudos to Miss Zoe for speaking up on behalf of your physical health!).

I would add: weight/interval training. Huge bang for your buck here. (Sorry, the wellness coach in me couldn't resist!)

And, oh yeah, I was a choir geek, too! (Who had crushes on lots of the band geeks :-0)

Many blessings and much success on this new part of your journey :-)