Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Art at the 'Berry

Misses Lilly and Zoe discussing their thoughts
on who might win this year's Caldecott Medal.
"Hmmm...." Zoe is saying. (Of course, she guessed correctly!)


Working at the public library can have its ups and downs. Everyday we hear lines such as: "Well, see, my girlfriend used my card when we were still together, but we broke up now, and, well, I don't think there's any way I can get those back."

OK, sorry to hear about the breakup. We still want the books back, friend.

Or how about this perennial favorite: "I couldn't have checked those books out." (Chuckle, chuckle-- quick glance around the room) "I was in jail when those puppies were checked out!"

Great. Pony up the books or the money, dude. Please, don't make my rabbit come down here and teach you a lesson. Really, you don't want that, do you?

And this: "I've never had a 'liberry' card. How did you get my signature on that 'liberry' card application???"

I'm just as confused as you are, believe you me.

But people and excuses like this are perfectly balanced with the people who are completely responsible and see the library as the wonderful and magical place it can be. A place where one can obtain access to a world of information and resources. A place where the Caldecott Medal exists.

Every year, when the Caldecott contenders are announced, our staff takes some time to pass around the nominees to see what everyone thinks. We all take guesses as to which book or books are our faves and/ or which one we think will win.

This year, the most Distinguished American Picture Book for Children was... (drum roll please)...

The House in the Night
written by Susan Marie Swanson and illustrated by Beth Krommes.

This is the second year in a row that a book with (almost completely) black and white illustrations has won the Medal. I think that's pretty darn cool, even though in my own art I love to use color. I think it takes a special talent to be able to make beauty like this with very limited color schemes. This particular book was illustrated with the use of scratchboard. Neat-o-neat.

The other contenders were pretty cool, too. Take a looksie. Better yet, go to the 'liberry' and take a look in person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious customer experiences! As someone with many years in customer service/retail/health care - I never ceased to be amazed at the stuff I hear! Kudos to you for hanging in there through it all.

Love the photo, BTW. Have been telling my hubby we need to buy a bunny (insert him rolling his eyes at me here) because I'm inspired by you two and your tribe of furry friends :-)